March 13, 2020, 1:40 PM
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I just attended a conference call with Commissioner Judith Persichilli, Chair of the Governor’s Task Force, and Christine Norbut Beyer, NJ Department of Children and Families Commissioner regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and I wanted to take this opportunity to share information with you from that call.
Basically, we have been advised that we should work closely with our local health department to ensure that we know everything that is happening locally. We are already talking to them on a daily basis. The question was asked if school districts are closed must we close. The answer is no. We do however, need to advise the Health Department if any staff or child become exposed or test positive for the virus. Closing of our center will be decided in conjunction with the Health Department. The Health Department based on what they see occurring in the area, may instruct us to close. For example, there could be an instance where although we have no issues at the center, because of extreme situations in the area, the Health Department may advise us to close. This is a very fluid time and situations can change quickly. We will continue to keep you advised as quickly as possible. For those of you that have not signed up for alerts on our website, I would suggest you do that so you can be as updated as possible. For those classrooms that use Bright Wheel we will also update Bright Wheel.
As fundamental as this information is, it bears repeating that to help prevent the spread of this virus all of us should:
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water (at least for 20 seconds)
- Use hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Contact your doctor is you develop a fever, cough, body aches or become fatigued
- Stay home and limit contact with others if you have a fever (stay home until you are fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medication)
We will continue our cleaning and sanitation efforts on a daily basis. There are a few things that you as parents can do to assist in our efforts.
- If your child is not coming in for any reason, please call us and tell us why. If you do not call, we will be calling you, because we must keep an accurate record of who is absent and why.
- If someone other than parents are picking up children, you must call us and advise who is picking up. Please make sure the person that is picking up is healthy.
- Take all clothing and sleeping items home and wash on at least a weekly basis.
- Wash your hands before picking up your child.
- If you or any family member develops symptoms, please call us immediately. I will be checking voice mail continually including weekends. If you would prefer to email, my email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stay away from crowds
Should you have any questions, please free to contact me.